A face brightening serum made of good quality ingredients should be at the top of your list when it comes to trying out new products for your skincare routine. In this post, we will explain which ingredients to look for, why a serum can be the best ally on your quest for your best skin yet, and which is the one face glow serum you should try.
Radiant Skin: What is it?
Simply put, radiant, glossy skin is the opposite of skin that looks dull or dry. Radiant skin is moist and soft, shining but not oily, with small pores, even complexion and no blemishes or dark spots.
Lack of luminosity, loss of firmness, dullness, hyperpigmentation and/or discoloration (i.e. dark circles, skin conditions like melasma etc.) can all have an effect on the natural appearance of radiant skin and make you look older than your real age. On the other hand, glowing, radiant skin is universally recognised as a sign of youth, health, and vitality.
Getting radiant skin is a process that starts from within and won’t happen overnight. Eating a healthy and balanced diet, cutting down on sugars, drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep, and exercising more are all steps you can take to make sure not only to improve your body’s overall health but also to keep your skin supple and smooth.
However, living a healthy lifestyle might not always be enough. Sometimes is not even possible to always be healthy! A sleepless night, stress, travelling intensively, smoking, excessive sun exposure, a poor diet, certain medicines, etc. are all factors that can negatively impact your complexion and make you look tired.
This is when implementing the right skincare routine and using products containing specific active ingredients that focus on glow become necessary to achieve and maintain that glossy, dewy look that will make you look and feel younger and healthy.
Face Brightening Serum: All You Need to Know
Sounds difficult or even impossible to achieve? Let’s start from the beginning, and you will realise it is easier than you think!
Face Serums Explained
Everyone is more or less familiar with face moisturisers. But what are face serums, and why should you start using them?
Serums are clear, liquid skincare products that can be oil- or water-based. They contain high concentrations of specific active ingredients for the skin, usually around seventy percent or more. For this reason, they are normally more expensive than your usual face cream, but you only need a few drops to cover your whole face.
Serums’ highly concentrated formulations are designed to get absorbed into the skin very quickly. The active ingredients are typically made up of smaller molecules, which are able to penetrate the deepest levels of the skin and act on the issue very quickly.
The active ingredients contained in a face serum can target different skin issues, from wrinkles, to brown spots, to acne, to general dullness. Some face serums have just one main ingredient, while others contain a combination of different ones.
Not sure which skin issue to target, and/or which products to start using? Remember the best way to find out which products would work best for your skin should always go for an initial consultation with Dr Nina. Only after a throughout consultation, she will be able to prescribe a bespoke course of treatment that is 100% effective for you.
Yes, absolutely! You should apply a face serum at least twice a day, in the morning before your make up and in the evening before bed.
Face serums should always be applied after cleansing your face and before applying moisturiser. Pump two or three drops of serum into your palm and apply it all over your face, neck, and décolletage in an upwards motion. Massage until completely absorbed.
You don’t have to do anything, but learn to observe your skin first. If after applying the serum your skin still feels tight and wanting more hydration, then apply a moisturiser on top. If your skin feels properly moisturised and glowing right after you applied the serum, then you might not even need a moisturiser on top of it.
Mixing a serum and moisturiser together is a not recommendable, as your skin won’t get a chance to properly absorb the key active ingredients contained in the serum. So don’t be lazy and do the extra step, it will pay off in the long run!
They are two different products, but if you have to choose, Dr Nina always recommends going for a good serum (but never forget to apply SPF during the day!). If your skin is healthy you likely won’t even need a moisturiser because a very healthy skin produces hydration from the deep layers.
Face Brightening Serum for Glowing Skin
Face brightening serums – or face glow serums – focus mainly on boosting radiance and fading dark spots, post-acne marks, and hyperpigmentation. To do so, they contain ingredients that inhibit melanin production and/or chemical exfoliants to remove dead cells and improve to leave your skin refreshed and renewed.
Some of the best skin brightening ingredients include:
- Vitamin C, a natural antioxidant that is known to reduce melanin formation.
- Niacinamide, or Vitamin B3, has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Glycolic acid, a form of alpha-hydroxy acid that is a good exfoliant and a natural skin brightening agent.
Most skin brightening ingredients are multi-faceted and offer antioxidant and hydrating benefits too, and with consistent use, they can help your complexion return to its natural, healthy glow.
However, no skin brightening serum can work effectively if you’re not also protecting skin with a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF factor of 30 or higher. Excessive sun exposure not only increases your risk of early signs of aging but it also slows down skin’s healing process and increases the risk of skin cancer.
How Face Brightening Serums Work
Face brightening serums focus on evening out and lightening skin tone and reducing visible flaws, such as dark spots, acne scars and hyperpigmentation while leaving skin nourished and well hydrated. They normally do this using active ingredients that act in three different ways.
- Alpha hydroxy acids, like lactic acid or glycolic acid, provide a gentle exfoliating effect, clearing your skin from dead skin cells to make your complexion look radiant and smooth enough to reflect light.
- Inhibiting the production of melanin.
- Melanin is the pigment that gives human skin, hair, and eyes their color. Age and/or excessive exposure to UV rays can make concentrated spots of melanin appear in your face, often called age spots, or liver spots. Using a face brightening serum on them will reduce their appearance by simply reducing the melanin concentration in that particular area.
- Protecting your skin from UV rays.
- Most face brightening serums contain ingredients with SPF to prevent further pigmentation. However, you should always apply a layer of SPF moisturiser on top of the serum during the day for maximum effect.
As an added bonus, most of the ingredients used in brightening products also provide moisture and antioxidants to nourish your skin and provide a powerful anti-ageing effect.
Best Face Brightening Serum: Dr Nina’s Choice
When it comes to introducing a face brightening serum to your skincare regimen, Dr Nina’s new Face Sculpt Serum can be the best addition to achieve and maintain a radiant, glowing skin.
Lightweight, easily absorbed and designed to suit most skin types, this innovative serum is a powerhouse of active ingredients that provide hydration, fight expression lines, and encourage cell renewal for rapidly visible effects.
The secret to Dr Nina’s glow formula for the skin lays – you guessed it – entirely in the ingredients.
Combining the expertise of her trusted lab technicians and her 12-year-experience looking after the cosmetic needs of thousands of patients at her Facial Sculpting clinics in London, Dr Nina took her time to design her must-have, high-effective Face Sculpt Serum.
Your skin is constantly undergoing change, triggered from within and by external factors. It is constantly reacting to everything; from the passing of time, to your lifestyle choices and the environment around you. To support your best skin from this moment on and beyond, it’s time to review your choices and your skincare regime. I’d like to introduce you to my Face Sculpt Serum which I believe will be your new best friend on your pathway to your best skin.Dr Nina Bal
The Active Ingredients
The formula of Dr Nina’s Face Sculpt Serum has been specifically designed for most skin types to achieve immediate glowing skin. Moreover, all of the ingredients are guaranteed:
- Cruelty-free and not tested on animals
- 100% Vegan and Natural Ingredients
- Ethically Sourced Extract
Here is the complete list of active ingredients that make up the Face Sculpt Serum’s formulation.
- ARABIAN COTTON 1%
- Broad-spectrum protection against photo-aging.
- CROSSLINKED 2% HYALURONIC ACID
- Provides gradual hydration and, in turn, improves the skin, balancing both hydration and oil production. It improves the protective barrier effect of the skin as well.
- EXO-P 2%
- Makes a barrier or shield effect, preventing the penetration of pollutant particles.
- GLYCOLIC ACID 0.7%
- Glycolic acid has a very low molecular weight, meaning it is able to penetrate the skin easily to soften and gently exfoliate, whilst also hydrating the skin.
- LOW MOLECULAR WEIGHT HYALURONIC ACID 0.1%
- Penetrates the stratum corneum, providing water to the deeper layers of the skin and improving wrinkles.
- MATRIXYL® 2%
- Stimulates the production of collagen for a long-term anti-wrinkle effect.
- NIACINAMIDE 1%
- A vitamin of group D, balances skin tone and improves the look of hyperpigmentation.
- REDENSIN® 2.5%
- Helps plump wrinkles from the inside.
- SALICYLIC ACID 0.1%
- A gentle exfoliator to soften and gently exfoliate the skin. It also has an antibacterial and antiseptic action.
- TURMERIA ZEN 1%
- A multi-active ingredient from Turmeric stem cells with an anti-inflammatory action that helps to support wound healing and improves the look of small scars and wrinkles.
How to Use
2 pumps to be applied to face, neck and décolletage in an upwards motion. Massage until completely absorbed. It can be used in the AM and/or PM.
Since ingredients are so powerful, there are a few points to be careful about when using the Face Sculpt Serum.
- Do not use if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning to get pregnant unless authorised by your doctor.
- Do not use it if you have an allergy to aspirin or derivatives.
- Due to the presence of alpha-hydroxyd acids, there is an exfoliating action in the skin and therefore we recommend the use of SPF after this product to minimise the risk of sun damage and sunburn.
- Avoid contact with eyes, eyelids and mucous membranes.
- Once opened, use within 12 months.
Face Brightening Serums: Final Thoughts
With so many products available on the market today, choosing the right products for your skin and its specific needs can be challenging. If you are looking to upgrade your skincare, a face brightening serum made of top-quality ingredients such as Dr Nina’s new Face Sculpt Serum, can be a winning choice.
Dr Nina’s serum combines active ingredients that not only target discoloration and dark spots, but also provide hydration, fights expression lines, and encourages cell renewal. The result? Skin that looks younger, healthier, radiant and immediately glowing.